A Titanic replica, world's largest museum attraction. Sorry, we don't have any Things To Do located in Glimp but please check out nearby cities for Things To Do. It’s French in origin, and means “oak tree.” Don’t miss a visit to these strange roadside attractions in every state. It’s been said that Kemmerer (KEM-er-er), Wyoming, is hard to pronounce even if you’re a local. Why they spelled it that way remains a mystery. I'm a girl. Things we say on COVID Halloween halloween. Well, you’ve got a couple of competing stories for this one. It’s named after the Shickshinny Creek, which runs through it. C'mon people, you spo-can get this right! Here are 20 American towns that have really cut the cord from the sources of their names. So it goes its own way name-wise too. We take names from places all over the world to give to our towns and cities, and once they're ours, we'll pronounce them how we want to, thank you very much. I think Tennessee would be number one in crazy names, if only some of these places were just a little bit bigger. If you’re into pop culture references, check out which iconic movies were shot in which states. Yes, it has a funny name, but they make up for it by being one of the best dang beach towns on the West Coast. New Jersey has THREE towns that are known as “GREEN-which.” One is in Cumberland County, one in Gloucester (pronounced “GLAW-ster”) County, and one in Warren County. Just when you thought you knew a lot about the United States – maybe you've been visiting or studying there for quite some time – you realize that there are some cities that you are pronouncing incorrectly. Here’s a prime example of the problem Americans face when they find it challenging to pronounce the names of cities and towns that have origins in other languages. I'd be flattered if you asked me. When you arrive in Sault St. Marie, Michigan, don’t be surprised if someone says, “Welcome to the Soo,” because that is, in fact, how the first word of this town’s name is pronounced. 13. Lima, OhioThe capital of Peru is Lima (LEE-ma). Just looking at it makes us cringe with the mispronunciation-shivers. Probably not big enough to make the atlas as I was using as my reference. A silent “x” perhaps right at the end, perhaps? OK, not a city, but for the good of America, it'd be cool if you stopped screwing this up. McGaheysville, Virginia, is an unincorporated community located in Rockingham County. Yup. 16. Wasn’t this where Jed and Granny and Jethro and Elly May were from? The second word is pronounced “Saynt” (or “saint”). Coeur d’Alene (pronounced kore-duh-LANE ) is the county seat of Kootenai (KOO-tuhn-ee) County, Idaho, and the name of a Native American tribe that lived in the area and called themselves the Schitsu’umsh (it’s OK to say “Skitswish” for this one). ©2020 Group Nine Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. Hey, at least it’s not Unalaska, Alaska, which although easy to pronounce, wouldn’t exactly roll off the tongue if you happened to be from there and were trying to explain your background (“Hello, my name is John, and I’m Unalaskan.”). The U.S. Board on Geographic Names ruled in 1890 that the final "h" should be dropped from the names of all cities and towns ending in "burgh," but the citizens of Pittsburgh mounted a campaign to keep the traditional spelling. Coeur d’Alene is the name of an American Indian tribe who lived in the area and called themselves the Schitsu’umsh. 24/7 Tempo set out to identify the most difficult-to-pronounce town name in each state. For example, a reader named “Kate” requested the official pronunciation of the Chechessee River after having lived alongside it for more than six years because she had “never heard it pronounced.” Here’s what Kate was told by SCIWAY: The Chechesee River is pronounced Chu-CHESSEE, with the last two syllables “sort of run together” such that really all the syllables end up “soft-sounding and fluid, just like the river that bears its name!”, The town of Pukwana, South Dakota is home to 285 residents and the “Puk U” bar. Trying to be Sly, are we, Schley, North Carolina? Perhaps a silent “k” at the beginning? The town of Qulin is pronounced Q-lin. If you can pronounce “Loachapoka” on the first try, then we owe you a “draught” (pronounced “draft” and rhymes with “laughed”) of beer. The second one sounds like what Christopher Robin probably said whenever he went into the Hundred Acre Wood. Owl City also happens to be “an American electronica project created in 2007 in Owatonna, Minnesota, one of several such projects by singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Adam Young.” No relation, I take it. An alternative along those lines is that the town was so small and remote and boring that the only excitement to be had was watching some ants or beetles go at it. I see a prominent road (perhaps the one from the story) and about a dozen buildings. Worst she can say is “I'm taken.”. Get the latest from It's a Southern Thing by subscribing to,